5 Things To Know About Caitlin Cahow
BY Keith Hutson
February 05 2014 6:00 AM ET
3. After playing for the Boston Blades for a few years after college, Cahow is retired, but she sits on the board of the Canadian Women's Hockey League. When the league was trying to recruit players for a video for the You Can Play Project, she said it was "like pulling teeth" to get players involved. "[T]he assumption is that is there is 'a guilty by association' philosophy with female athletes," she told Go! Athletes. "You don’t want to be perceived as being a lesbian, and if you are a lesbian, you don’t want to fit into the stereotype. You don’t want to gratify that stereotype with a response. That’s something unique to women’s sports. The NHL had an abundance of allies waiting in line to stand up and support LGBT athletes in their videos. Male athletes don’t have the same stigma attached to their participation in sports."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View