Team LGBT: The Medal Count
BY Michelle Garcia
August 13 2012 1:06 PM ET
In their fifth Olympic games final, Team USA beat Japan in a rematch of last year's World Championship, where Japan prevailed over the Americans in the last few moments of the game. Out player Megan Rapinoe, along with Carli Lloyd, Abby Wambach, and Alex Morgan, were among the top scorers in the women's competition. Out coach Pia Sundhage said, "They found a way to win. Phenomenal, because that is not easy. They played with a huge heart and they changed the tactics and little bit. Wonderful."
The Swedish team, with out players Jessica Landstrom and Hedvig Lindahl, lost to France in the first round of tournament play. The bronze medal-winning Canadian team beat Great Britain, headed by out coach Hope Powell.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 2 hours 6 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 2 hours 54 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM