Team LGBT: The Medal Count
BY Michelle Garcia
August 13 2012 2:06 PM ET
In their fifth Olympic games final, Team USA beat Japan in a rematch of last year's World Championship, where Japan prevailed over the Americans in the last few moments of the game. Out player Megan Rapinoe, along with Carli Lloyd, Abby Wambach, and Alex Morgan, were among the top scorers in the women's competition. Out coach Pia Sundhage said, "They found a way to win. Phenomenal, because that is not easy. They played with a huge heart and they changed the tactics and little bit. Wonderful."
The Swedish team, with out players Jessica Landstrom and Hedvig Lindahl, lost to France in the first round of tournament play. The bronze medal-winning Canadian team beat Great Britain, headed by out coach Hope Powell.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- #TBT: Posters of Male Nudes
- WATCH: Explaining U.K.-Scotland Relationship as Gay Romantic Comedy