Artist Spotlight: Hans Thoma
BY Christopher Harrity
April 20 2013 3:00 AM ET
Shepherd Boy on Flowery Banks, 1893
Identifying as gay was unheard of at the time. But looking at the bulk of his output indicates that he was often taken with fantasies of young men as mythological characters, woodland sprites, or sleeping shepherds. And often nude. What little biographical information that is available on Thoma leads nowhere as far as his personal life goes.
Was Thoma gay? It was a different time. More than a few artists who have this kind of romantic and homoerotic output were married family men. We know that his idealistic images of men and boys seem to telegraph a connection to a modern gay aesthetic. Perhaps his same-sex attraction lived in and enlivened his art for us to enjoy today, like a message from the past.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM