WATCH: Mike Michaud Says He Doesn't Know Who Is Targeting Him
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2013 1:33 PM ET
Rep. Mike Michaud says he doesn't know who is behind the whisper campaign that had targeted him for being gay.
"I have no idea who is doing it," the congressman and candidate for Maine governor told Rachel Maddow on Tuesday. Michaud's spokesman had told local newspapers he's the victim of push polling in which his sexuality is asked about, though no one has claimed responsibility for the polls.
Maddow set up the interview by asking Michaud, a six-term congressman, why after so many years in elected office in Maine he only just came out. "Why now?" she asked. And Michaud blamed the whisper campaign against him.
"It never was an issue before," he said. "I've always ran for office talking about the issues. This is actually the first campaign where it's becoming an issue."
Michaud wrote a column published on Tuesday in two local newspapers and with the Associated Press in which he came out.
"Yes, I'm gay, but what's wrong with that?" he said on Tuesday in his first televised interview since writing the coming out column.
Michaud, a Democrat, faces incumbent governor Paul LePage in the 2014 gubernatorial race. Because of the Tea Party governor's reputation for strangely angry public statements, Rachel Maddow called him "the raging id of conservative American governors." He once chided a Democratic opponent with a graphic jab about anal sex, for example. Maddow kidded, "Kids, the governor is on TV again tonight. Viewer discretion is advised."
LePage opposes marriage equality, though it's now the law in his state.
Watch the complete interview below.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Can San Francisco Become the First AIDS-Free City?
- Television PHOTOS: Behind The Scenes With a New Gay Sitcom 11 min 47 sec ago
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 1 hour 3 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 1 hour 17 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 1 hour 18 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 1 hour 19 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 1 hour 45 min ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 1 hour 46 min ago