Gay Couple Becomes First Men to Marry Each Other at West Point
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 03 2013 2:18 PM ET
A gay couple became the first men to marry each other West Point yesterday. Larry Choate III and Daniel Lennox, both graduates of storied military academy, married Saturday at the U.S. Military Academy's famed Gothic Cadet Chapel. Two same-sex weddings of women were hosted at West Point last year but this weekend marked the first time two men were wed there, according to the Associated Press.
"It's maybe one more barrier that's pushed over a little bit, or maybe one more glass ceiling that's shattered that makes it easier for the next couple," the 27-year-old Choate told reporters before the wedding. He said that when he taught Sunday school at the chapel as an academy cadet, he thought of it as the place he would someday get married.
AP reports that both men are out of the military. Lennox, 28, is studying for a master's degree in business administration at Harvard University, while Choate works at Harvard's business school there and is hoping to study at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government.
Choate reminded reporters the day before the wedding that he and Lennox were honored to wed at West Point, but pointed out that the couple was really just like everyone else: "It's going to be just like every other wedding there, except probably a lot smaller and no bride."
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Gay Health - HIV and AIDS News, Fitness Tips & Health Commentary
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM