Gay Couple Becomes First Men to Marry Each Other at West Point
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 03 2013 1:18 PM ET
A gay couple became the first men to marry each other West Point yesterday. Larry Choate III and Daniel Lennox, both graduates of storied military academy, married Saturday at the U.S. Military Academy's famed Gothic Cadet Chapel. Two same-sex weddings of women were hosted at West Point last year but this weekend marked the first time two men were wed there, according to the Associated Press.
"It's maybe one more barrier that's pushed over a little bit, or maybe one more glass ceiling that's shattered that makes it easier for the next couple," the 27-year-old Choate told reporters before the wedding. He said that when he taught Sunday school at the chapel as an academy cadet, he thought of it as the place he would someday get married.
AP reports that both men are out of the military. Lennox, 28, is studying for a master's degree in business administration at Harvard University, while Choate works at Harvard's business school there and is hoping to study at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government.
Choate reminded reporters the day before the wedding that he and Lennox were honored to wed at West Point, but pointed out that the couple was really just like everyone else: "It's going to be just like every other wedding there, except probably a lot smaller and no bride."
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 39 min 38 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM