A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 7:05 AM ET
Despite the fact there are 1 million hijras in India, they still attract attention wherever they go.
Two hijras during Mumbai's Gay Pride march.
The graceful, Urmi, is a Transgender Representative with The Humsafar Trust. She works six days a week supporting the hijra in different communities spread throughout Mumbai.
These are just some of the many hijra I met in Mumbai. Their stories describe the positive work being done by organisations such as The Humsafar Trust, but also the emotionally and physically difficult and dangerous lives hijra are still forced to lead in contemporary India.
See more about the hijra and more of Alison McCauley's work on her Web site.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- WATCH: Antigay Baker Cries to Values Voters Summit Over Lawsuit
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre
- Transgender College Student Attacked in Possible Hate Crime