21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
7. Majority Rules on Marriage
Conservative lawmakers in both Minnesota and North Carolina circumvented more liberal governors this year and approved ballot initiatives that will let voters decide in 2012 whether to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage. In North Carolina they’ll also be deciding whether to outlaw civil unions and domestic partnerships.
(RELATED: Minnesota Marriage Battle Begins)
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'