21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
7. Majority Rules on Marriage
Conservative lawmakers in both Minnesota and North Carolina circumvented more liberal governors this year and approved ballot initiatives that will let voters decide in 2012 whether to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage. In North Carolina they’ll also be deciding whether to outlaw civil unions and domestic partnerships.
(RELATED: Minnesota Marriage Battle Begins)
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City