21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
7. Majority Rules on Marriage
Conservative lawmakers in both Minnesota and North Carolina circumvented more liberal governors this year and approved ballot initiatives that will let voters decide in 2012 whether to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage. In North Carolina they’ll also be deciding whether to outlaw civil unions and domestic partnerships.
(RELATED: Minnesota Marriage Battle Begins)
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown