Team LGBT Goes for the Olympic Gold
BY Michelle Garcia
July 16 2012 5:00 AM ET
Seimone Augustus: Basketball, U.S.
WNBA champion and star Minnesota Lynx player Seimone Augustus came out publicly to The Advocate earlier this year. The motivation? Her engagement to her fiancée, LaTaya. Competing internationally, whether she's playing in Russia or on the Olympic court, is familiar to Augustus.
“Every country is out to beat Team USA,” she said earlier this year. “If they beat us, it makes their year, it makes their life, it makes their career. I have Russian teammates that I played against in 2006, when they beat us in the World Championships, and they still talk about that now. So beating Team USA is everything to the other countries because we set such high standards for ourselves.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 53 min 9 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM