Pearl Love, the transgender woman who says she was verbally and physically assaulted on the New York City subway last week, is getting some support from Hillary Clinton.
“Pearl, I’m so sorry that you experienced this,” the Democratic presidential front-runner wrote in a comment on Love’s Facebook page Thursday. “The all-too-high prevalence of violence and hatred faced by the transgender community — today, in 2016! — is a rebuke to all of us. Every single person deserves to be safe and live free from discrimination and cruelty, period. And transgender people need to hear from every one of us that you are loved, respected, and deserving of equality under the law. Know that you have my support, and I’m on your side.”
Love used her phone to record video of the incident, which took place when she was on the way to her new job as an outreach social worker for the Translatina Network.
“I just sat down and started reading my book but then this woman across me just randomly started yelling profanities at me and saying racist things,” Love, who is from Taiwan, told ABC News. “I tried to just ignore it as I usually do, but this woman kept going for over five minutes. She was getting louder and more aggressive, so I started recording because I was scared.”
The video (watch below) shows the woman harassing Love for carrying a “motherfucking women’s bag" and for “living in a man’s penis and body with women’s makeup on.” The woman also can be heard calling Love “garbage” and threatening to fight her. She eventually slapped the phone out of Love’s grasp, and the video ends there.
After that, Love told ABC, the woman “chased me around the train car and hit me, and before she left the train, she threw all the stuff in my bag on the floor.” One man helped Love gather the items, but other than that, she said, no one came to her assistance.
Love posted the video to Facebook and YouTube, and it has received thousands of views. She did not file a complaint with the police, saying she was not sure how things worked in the U.S., but police told ABC they are aware of the video and are having the department’s transit bureau review it.