Out Pa. Rep. Brian Sims Responds to Gov.'s Incest Comparison
BY Nicholas Cimarusti
October 04 2013 3:29 PM ET
After Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett said in a TV interview Friday that marriage equality was comparable to siblings marrying, the first openly gay man to be elected to the state legislature fired back on Facebook.
Out Philadelphia Rep. Brian Sims, a Democrat who is the former president of Equality Pennsylvania, and was the first out captain of an NCAA football team, wrote an eloquent Facebook status update Friday afternoon.
Sims, who yesterday introduced a marriage equality bill in Pennsylvania, encouraged supporters not to pay too much attention to the Republican governor's ignorant comments.
"No one, not even his own party, would argue that [Gov. Tom Corbett]’s an intellectual heavyweight or even a particularly thoughtful person," wrote Sims in a Facebook post. "The larger issue is that despite the fact that the majority of Pennsylvanians disagree with him, he continues to be the heaviest hitter in Pennsylvania’s anti-equality crusade."
"Our job isn’t just to be frustrated with the homophobia coming from the Governor’s Mansion, it’s to do everything we can to ensure that his chapter in Pennsylvania’s political history is as sad and short as his record on schools, economic development and civil rights," continued Sims.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6