WATCH: Christie's Opponent Supports Marriage Equality
BY Nicholas Cimarusti
October 04 2013 1:11 PM ET
Though it is officially an endorsement for Barbara Buono, the democratic state senator hoping to unseat New Jersey Governor Chris Christie this fall, a newly released released ad is also a touching endorsement of marriage equality.
David and Rich are a committed, loving same-sex couple, whose marriage has been impacted by Christie's current policies regarding gay marriage in the Garden State. The Republican governor vetoed a bipartisan bill that would have established marriage equality last year, saying he believes the issue should go to the voters. Last week, a state judge ruled that New Jersey must extend the freedom to marry to same-sex couples, though Christie has promised to appeal that ruling.
"Because of Christie's veto of the very early and very courageous passage of gay marriage in New Jersey, it's like the DOMA decision didn't happen for people in New Jersey — we're still second-class citizens," said David in a transcript at The New Civil Rights Movement, referencing the June Supreme Court decision which struck down a key section of the federal so-called Defense of Marriage Act.
The couple had to travel to New York to be legally married. If Buono is elected Governor, the couple is hopeful their rights, and those of other same-sex couples, will be supported and made legal.
Watch the Buono ad here:
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM