PHOTOS: Gay Moments From the DNC's First Day
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 1:37 AM ET
Michelle Obama said same-sex couples are looking for the American dream. And she characterized getting married as part of America's "story of unwavering hope grounded in unyielding struggle" during her widely praised speech on Tuesday during the Democratic National Convention.
"If a generation could defeat a depression, and define greatness for all time… if a young preacher could lift us to the mountaintop with his righteous dream… and if proud Americans can be who they are and boldly stand at the altar with who they love… then surely, surely we can give everyone in this country a fair chance at that great American Dream," she said to loud applause.
Earlier the first lady had explained her husband's connection to the American dream and gave a nod to LGBT people.
"Barack knows the American Dream because he's lived it," she said, "and he wants everyone in this country to have that same opportunity, no matter who we are, or where we're from, or what we look like, or who we love."
See more photos from some of the convention's LGBT-inclusive moments on the following pages.
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 2 hours 31 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 3:17 PM
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2:47 PM
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2:41 PM