PHOTOS: Gay Moments From the DNC's First Day
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 2:37 AM ET
Michelle Obama said same-sex couples are looking for the American dream. And she characterized getting married as part of America's "story of unwavering hope grounded in unyielding struggle" during her widely praised speech on Tuesday during the Democratic National Convention.
"If a generation could defeat a depression, and define greatness for all time… if a young preacher could lift us to the mountaintop with his righteous dream… and if proud Americans can be who they are and boldly stand at the altar with who they love… then surely, surely we can give everyone in this country a fair chance at that great American Dream," she said to loud applause.
Earlier the first lady had explained her husband's connection to the American dream and gave a nod to LGBT people.
"Barack knows the American Dream because he's lived it," she said, "and he wants everyone in this country to have that same opportunity, no matter who we are, or where we're from, or what we look like, or who we love."
See more photos from some of the convention's LGBT-inclusive moments on the following pages.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 9 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 5 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 39 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 39 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 39 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM