PHOTOS: Gay Moments From the DNC's First Day
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 2:37 AM ET
Michelle Obama said same-sex couples are looking for the American dream. And she characterized getting married as part of America's "story of unwavering hope grounded in unyielding struggle" during her widely praised speech on Tuesday during the Democratic National Convention.
"If a generation could defeat a depression, and define greatness for all time… if a young preacher could lift us to the mountaintop with his righteous dream… and if proud Americans can be who they are and boldly stand at the altar with who they love… then surely, surely we can give everyone in this country a fair chance at that great American Dream," she said to loud applause.
Earlier the first lady had explained her husband's connection to the American dream and gave a nod to LGBT people.
"Barack knows the American Dream because he's lived it," she said, "and he wants everyone in this country to have that same opportunity, no matter who we are, or where we're from, or what we look like, or who we love."
See more photos from some of the convention's LGBT-inclusive moments on the following pages.
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 2 hours 59 min ago
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM