Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 5:00 AM ET
Steve King, U.S. House of Representatives, Iowa, 4th District
Ultraconservative and antigay Iowa congressman Steve King has been elected to a sixth term in the U.S. House, beating back a tough challenge from Christie Vilsack, the wife of former Iowa governor and current U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. King faced a difficult reelection campaign after redistricting, but emerged the winner nonetheless.
King is one of the National Organization for Marriage's closest allies. He said he feared his state would become a “gay marriage mecca” after a 2009 state Supreme Court decision struck down barriers to legal marriage by same-sex couples. And yes, that's him with Missouri senate candidate Todd Akin, who he worked with in Congress to try and ban same-sex marriages on all military bases. More on Akin later. (Read More About The Race)
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective 10 min 9 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 15 min 28 sec ago
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 45 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 1 hour 12 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 1 hour 15 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 47 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 48 min ago