Equality House Gets Makeover for Transgender Day of Remembrance
BY Jase Peeples
November 20 2013 1:22 PM ET
Equality House is making Transgender Day of Remembrance a little brighter with a colorful makeover, reports The Huffington Post.
The Topeka, Kan., house, which gained headlines earlier this year when the nonprofit organization Planting Peace purchased the property located across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church and painted the home's exterior in rainbow colors, has been transformed once again, with a paint job in the colors of the transgender flag.
"Transgender suicide, as well as murders of those that are transgender, are alarmingly high," Aaron Jackson, president and founder of Planting Peace, told The Huffington Post. "I wanted the Equality House to play a role in bringing public awareness to this issue and to let those in the trans community know that we care. It is my belief that if you are an ally for the trans community, it is imperative that you be open and vocal about it. Acceptance and inclusion comes from education."
The Equality House repaint follows on the heels of the organization's first drag show, which was held on the front lawn of the home last month and drew approximately 150 attendees. The event — appropriately titled “Drag Down Bigotry” — was produced as a fundraiser for programs battling antigay bullying.
Take a look at photos from the colorful Equality House makeover on the following pages. For more information on how you can help Planting Peace spread the message of equality for all, visit the organization’s website.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 2 hours 50 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM