Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
PHOBIE AWARD: BRYAN FISCHER
What's most astounding about Bryan Fischer is that someone who's said so many outrageous things is often still considered mainstream by Republicans or the media. Fischer is a radio personality and spokesman for the American Family Association, which is termed a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center for its consistent spreading of misinformation about LGBT people. During this year alone, Fischer said striking down a portion of the Defense of Marriage Act was a worse travesty than Trayvon Martin's death, praised India's courts for recriminalizing homosexuality and called for laws against sodomy to be reinstated in the United States, called Mary Cheney a "lesbian bigot" for standing up for her marriage, claimed that if Hillary Clinton wins in 2016 she would become the "first lesbian president," implied that gay Boy Scout leaders would try to molest the troops, and then said it's all owing to his deep concern for LGBT people. "There's a sickness there, there's a pathology associated with homosexual behavior," he said in September. "You know these are not happy people. They are not well-adjusted people. It just breaks your heart to see what this perverted sense of homosexuality is doing to them. It's just destroying their humanity." — Lucas Grindley
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- S.C. Congressional Candidate: Beware of Gay 'Gremlins'
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends